The legislative session has ended and thanks to the active work of so many folks like you, we’re celebrating critical WINS for immigrant and refugee communities!
- We PASSED and FULLY FUNDED the Keep Washington Working Act. This will not only keep families together by limiting law enforcement from working with out-of-control federal immigration forces but also provide a safer environment for immigrants in our community.
- We EXTENDED Dual Language Program grants and capacity in early learning and K-12 to 2021! This means students will continue to benefit from dual language learning. We will work to strengthen the policy next session by advocating for funding new dual language classrooms.
- We FULLY FUNDED the Washington New Americans Program. This allows us to continue to support our community to gain their citizenship through Citizenship Days across the state.
- We PASSED language access requirements for parents in schools, ensuring students and parents will have access to interpreting services that allow them to be engaged advocates for themselves and their children.
- We FUNDED census outreach in under counted communities to the tune of $15 million, and increased legal services funding for low-income immigrants to $3 million over two years.
And in partnership with broad coalitions, we also made important progress on climate justice, civil rights and criminal justice reforms.
These nation-leading victories demonstrate the power we hold in making change happen! And remember, together we made this all possible last fall when so many of us volunteered on the phones and at the doors to elect the most diverse and progressive legislature in state history. So let’s take a moment to celebrate what we accomplished!
But also remember that our work never ends.
Despite modest increases in revenue, the Working Families Tax Credit was not funded. We will need your help next session to inject greater fairness into our tax code and to help low-wage workers and tax payers, including immigrants, make ends meet.
Let’s continue our work to build power within immigrant and refugee communities!
Share this infographic on social media to share the good news with your network!
Do you want to ensure you receive our communications to take action on pivotal measures in the future? Sign up here!